- Home E
- Curriculum & Year Groups E
- YEAR GROUP PAGES E
- YEAR 1 - GODFREY E
- Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum! Summer 2019 E
Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum! Summer 2019
An exciting start to the term...!
The children were really excited to return following the Easter break to discover a grand entrance to our classroom and an immersive role play area! Our environment has been carefully planned and resourced to allow children opportunities to independently apply and consolidate their recent learning. Take a look at our indoor and outdoor environment gallery!
Weeks 1 & 2
Within adult-led focus groups, we have:
- Compared features of traditional tales.
- Secured our understanding of place value within 2-digit numbers.
- Planted our beanstalks.
- Written captions to match images from the story of Jack and the Beanstalk.
- Thought carefully about who were the friends of Jesus. Why was Jesus friends with some unpopular people?
- Suggested how we have changed as we have grown. We have thought about which changes we have been able to choose and those which we are unable to choose.
Within our environment, we have independently...
- Worked with peers to re-tell the story of Jack and the Beanstalk using props and drama.
- Designed, created and evaluated parachutes for Jack to descend from the top of the beanstalk using STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) learning.
- Used beans to support us in finding number bonds to 20 and making links to how our knowledge of number bonds to 10 can help us find these.
- Explored real plants using magnifying glasses to identify the roots, stem, leaves and flowers. We then carefully drew our plant and labelled the key parts.
- Continued to secure our phonic knowledge through a range of activities which have included seeing how many sound pebbles we can find in the sand using the 1 minute timer! Our challenge has been to improve on our previous score... but we must make sure we say each sound before finding the next one!
- Used problem solving and reasoning skills to build the Giant's castle using the block play area.
- Found missing numbers on the outdoor 100 square using our knowledge of number and place value.
- Cared for our beanstalks by making sure they have water, light and are being kept in the right temperature.
See our provision gallery for our learning in action!
Weeks 3 and 4
Our learning within adult-led focus groups has included:
- Creating a story path to re-tell the story of Jack and the Beanstalk using the Talk 4 Writing approach.
- Writing our own recounted versions of the story.
- Practising our addition skills using a range of methods including concrete resources and the number line.
- Identifying evergreen and deciduous trees.
- Explored the message of forgiveness within the Bible. We know that Jesus teaches us to forgive and we have shared our experiences of when we have forgiven others.
- Begun to understand that an Algorithm is a sequence of clear instructions which must be completed in order to make something happen. We have used the free to access 'Isle of Tune' online to create a sequence of steps to make our own tune and beat.
Independent learning opportunities have included...
- Exploring the work of an American artist called Georgia O'Keefe who is best known for her paintings of nature, especially of magnified flowers. The children have painted their own versions which rival the originals!
- Further opportunities to secure place value and number knowledge. Children have challenged themselves to choose a raffle ticket and represent the number using Base 10. Many children were able to confidently represent 3-digit numbers!
- Using our outdoor washing line to practise counting in 2s.
- Developing our knowledge of values of coins and notes within our farm shop. Children have written shopping lists and have been able to use a range of coins to make different values.
- Applying our phonic knowledge by playing hide and seek with miniature figures from Jack and the Beanstalk hidden under paper cups. Children have taken turns with friends to say the sound on the base of the cup before seeing if they are a winner!
- Continuing to care for our growing beanstalks, radishes and plants in our outdoor area. We have been excited to see the roots beginning to develop on our beans!
New photos added to our provision gallery!